OT Carl Sagan and the Little Blue Dot
Mad Mike
2013-11-14 18:18:53 UTC
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/

MM
Walt_M
2013-11-14 20:54:48 UTC
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
Brilliant !!! Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :-)

Of course you do realise that it's traitorous, pacifist, communist
propaganda, don't you. We'll now have to kill Sagan.

And run you out of this newsgroup !!! Such are the demands of a
"superior culture". ;-)

Gee... I hope I haven't started another flame war... :-))))
sambodidley
2013-11-14 21:22:52 UTC
Post by Walt_M
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
Brilliant !!! Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :-)
Of course you do realise that it's traitorous, pacifist, communist
propaganda, don't you. We'll now have to kill Sagan.
Oops! To late for that. Dog done did it.<g>
Sam
Walt_M
Oops... Didn't know he had died. May he rest in peace.
sambodidley
2013-11-14 21:41:09 UTC
Post by sambodidley
Post by Walt_M
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
Brilliant !!! Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :-)
Of course you do realise that it's traitorous, pacifist, communist
propaganda, don't you. We'll now have to kill Sagan.
Oops! To late for that. Dog done did it.<g>
Oops... Didn't know he had died. May he rest in peace.
Can a dead dude rest any other way? <g>
Sam
ManhattanMan
2013-11-14 22:25:28 UTC
Post by sambodidley
Can a dead dude rest any other way? <g>
Sam
ROFLMAO !!!
MnM
Walt_M
2013-11-14 22:42:40 UTC
Post by sambodidley
Post by Walt_M
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
Brilliant !!! Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :-)
Of course you do realise that it's traitorous, pacifist, communist
propaganda, don't you. We'll now have to kill Sagan.
Oops! To late for that. Dog done did it.<g>
Oops... Didn't know he had died. May he rest in peace.
Can a dead dude rest any other way? <g>
Well, I'm told by those who claim to know about these things, that you
can end up in a place called Hell when you die.

I imagine there'd be not a lot of peace in such a place.

What with Sagan bein' a God-fearin' Christian an' all, an' all those
pacifist-haters wishin' him to Hell, I was just wishin' for him not to
go there... If you don't mind... :-))))
unknown
2013-11-14 22:50:58 UTC
Post by sambodidley
Post by Walt_M
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:22:52 -0600, "sambodidley"
Post by sambodidley
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:18:53 -0800 (PST), Mad Mike
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
Brilliant !!! Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :-)
Of course you do realise that it's traitorous, pacifist, communist
propaganda, don't you. We'll now have to kill Sagan.
Oops! To late for that. Dog done did it.<g>
Oops... Didn't know he had died. May he rest in peace.
Can a dead dude rest any other way? <g>
Well, I'm told by those who claim to know about these things, that you
can end up in a place called Hell when you die.
I imagine there'd be not a lot of peace in such a place.
What with Sagan bein' a God-fearin' Christian an' all, an' all those
pacifist-haters wishin' him to Hell, I was just wishin' for him not to
go there... If you don't mind... :-))))
Not sure you could call him a God-fearin' Christian!

From Wikipedia...

Sagan wrote frequently about religion and the relationship between religion
and science, expressing his skepticism about the conventional
conceptualization of God as a sapient being. For example:

Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white
beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying
the fall of every sparrow. Others-for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert
Einstein-considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws
which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for
anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden
celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of
physical laws.[50]

In another description of his view on the concept of God, Sagan emphatically
writes:

The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits
in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God
one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly
there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying ... it does not
make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.[51]

On atheism, Sagan commented in 1981:

An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who
has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such
compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places
and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the
universe than we do now to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of
the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me
to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and
uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed.[52]
Walt_M
Huh? He was a Merkin. wasn't he? ;-)
unknown
One should not tar everything with the same brush!!! :-)
Walt_M
2013-11-14 23:44:34 UTC
On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 07:01:01 +0800, "Nick O'Tyme" <mellorc(at)msn.com>
Didn't someone here once say "They's all Ayrabs, ain't they?"
Arthur
2013-11-15 03:12:23 UTC
Post by Walt_M
What with Sagan bein' a God-fearin' Christian an' all, an' all those
pacifist-haters wishin' him to Hell, I was just wishin' for him not to
go there... If you don't mind... :-))))
Carl Sagan was a God-fearin' Jew, Walt. Just sayin'

Arthur
Mad Mike
2013-11-15 11:59:53 UTC
Post by Walt_M
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
Brilliant !!! Thanks for sharing that, Mike. :-)
Of course you do realise that it's traitorous, pacifist, communist
propaganda, don't you. We'll now have to kill Sagan.
And run you out of this newsgroup !!! Such are the demands of a
"superior culture". ;-)
Gee... I hope I haven't started another flame war... :-))))
'Ol Carl was one helluva communicator, Walt. he died too young...62.
MM
unknown
2013-11-14 21:38:26 UTC
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
MM
I always admired Sagan for his insight. I still have a copy of his series
'Cosmos'. Brilliant stuff in my eyes.

What a pity people can't think about this before they start squawking about
matters which, in the scheme of things, are quite trivial.
sambodidley
2013-11-14 21:47:47 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
MM
I always admired Sagan for his insight. I still have a copy of his series
'Cosmos'. Brilliant stuff in my eyes.
What a pity people can't think about this before they start squawking
about matters which, in the scheme of things, are quite trivial.
Well heck, Nick. Simple. People don't live within the scheme of things.
<g>
Sam
unknown
2013-11-14 22:33:08 UTC
Post by sambodidley
Post by unknown
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
MM
I always admired Sagan for his insight. I still have a copy of his series
'Cosmos'. Brilliant stuff in my eyes.
What a pity people can't think about this before they start squawking
about matters which, in the scheme of things, are quite trivial.
Well heck, Nick. Simple. People don't live within the scheme of things.
<g>
Sam
I obviously need to get a little bit older to have the same insight that you
have, Sam. :-)
BeeFlow
2013-11-15 05:00:20 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by sambodidley
Well heck, Nick. Simple. People don't live within the scheme of
things. <g>
Sam
I obviously need to get a little bit older to have the same insight that
you have, Sam. :-)
Perspectives do stratify - often with perfect opacity.

...except for Gregory. Dig he must!
Gregory
2013-11-15 15:23:46 UTC
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:47:47 -0600, "sambodidley"
"Nick O'Tyme" <mellorc(at)msn.com> wrote in message
Post by unknown
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
MM
I always admired Sagan for his insight. I still have a copy of his series
'Cosmos'. Brilliant stuff in my eyes.
What a pity people can't think about this before they start squawking
about matters which, in the scheme of things, are quite trivial.
Well heck, Nick. Simple. People don't live within the scheme of things. <g>
Sam
Let's sing along..

<sing> Consider yourself.. a Dot!
Consider yourself.. a spec in the u-ni-verrrrse! </sing>

<sing> From a distaaance... Yooo look like a dooot! </sing> :))

Sagen was one of the occult boys for sure.

-G

Arthur
2013-11-14 22:20:31 UTC
Post by Mad Mike
Completely OT but interesting
3 minute video
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/93638-3-minute-video-will-make-problem-seem-astonishingly-trivial/
MM
My world is a teensy bit of property in Toronto. How pathetic is that?

ManhattanMan
2013-11-14 22:38:12 UTC
Post by Arthur
My world is a teensy bit of property in Toronto. How pathetic is that?
Consider your world, my world, etc., to be grains of sand making up a
beach, relatively speaking. That beach is barely a dot on the earth.
The earth a microscopic pin prick in our solar system. Our solar system
maybe an electron in a atom of the universe. And so on - until YOU have
problems, then they're universal in nature!! At least it seems that way
to me......

Bartender..
MnM
donbutts
2013-11-15 07:57:13 UTC
Post by Arthur
My world is a teensy bit of property in Toronto. How pathetic is that?
Thought of standing for mayor at this point of time Arthur?

Butts