WHAT THE HECK.....
pb
2004-02-15 23:52:26 UTC
Who of the Americans can explane to me the meaning of "what's the heck" so i
can use that next time....

pieter
LB
2004-02-16 00:24:04 UTC
What The Heck, instead of What The Hell. Shows a question of frustration.
pieter
pr
2004-02-16 00:28:37 UTC
Post by pb
Who of the Americans can explane to me the meaning of "what's the heck" so i
can use that next time....
Depends on how it's used. By itself, "What the heck?" might imply
sincere confusion, as in a scientist witnessing a previously unrecorded
phenomenon.

Or it might imply confused anger at a situation, such as a pilot of a
small aircraft flying along when suddenly he experiences a painful
electric shock from his headset cup to his ear.
--
Peter

bizzarro
2004-02-16 01:03:41 UTC
explane?
pieter
shu
2004-02-16 02:02:57 UTC
it's a polite form of "WTF"
--
**********
shu
pieter
2992
2004-02-16 02:34:47 UTC
Post by shu
it's a polite form of "WTF"
well in all fairness the F word was never used back in my day, it was
the word hell. this planet is going there btw...I'll be in my Baron
when it goes :P

2992
2004-02-16 04:22:59 UTC
To Hell or to ... ? :P
2992
2004-02-16 04:50:13 UTC
Post by Tom|420
To Hell or to ... ? :P
to Heck, if there is such a place ;)

Seems that flight simming has improved while the world has gotten
worse, or a little crazier. too bad we can't upgrade to Earth 2.0, or
atleast 1.5. I think the 1.5 upgrade will get rid of pollutants and
bring back extinct species while a full version upgrade would rid this
world of violence. you think?

2992
Jim Hendrickson
2004-02-16 16:23:39 UTC
Post by 2992
Post by shu
it's a polite form of "WTF"
well in all fairness the F word was never used back in my day, it was
the word hell.
True, hell was a bad word back when I was growing up too (not that long
ago), as were the words ass, bastard, and bitch- all of which can be said on
network television nowadays.
2992
2004-02-17 00:29:43 UTC
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:23:39 -0500, "Jim Hendrickson"
Post by Jim Hendrickson
Post by 2992
well in all fairness the F word was never used back in my day, it was
the word hell.
True, hell was a bad word back when I was growing up too (not that long
ago), as were the words ass, bastard, and bitch- all of which can be said on
network television nowadays.
it's kinda scary isn't it? next thing they'll be showing full frontal
nudity on CBS.....oops! there was! (thanks Janet)

2992
EvenSky
2004-02-16 02:37:58 UTC
Post by pb
Who of the Americans can explane to me the meaning of "what's the
heck" so i can use that next time....
pieter
"What the heck kind of question is that?"
Variations can be:
"Why the heck are you asking that for?"
"Who the heck are you?"
or maybe:
" Heck, I just want to hear more about video settings and frame rates"

Does that clear up some of your questions Pieter? Good now get the heck
outta here ;)
--
That's me....EvenSky
Athalon 2.6 Gig Hz
W2K, FS9
Trent Hopkinson
2004-02-16 02:57:48 UTC
What the heck did you ask that for?

Why the heck did Flightsim just crash to desktop?

How the heck did you do that?
MyOdd
2004-02-16 06:18:15 UTC
Post by pb
Who of the Americans can explane to me the meaning of "what's the heck" so i
can use that next time....
pieter
It is English, 'American' is not a language :-)

And it is an intensive adjective used to accentuate something for example i
could say
"What is this?" or to intensify the point i could say "What the heck is
this".

It can also be used in conjunction with another sentence. For example,
"My computer crashed. What the heck! [...caused my computer to crash]."

Regards,
Simon.
donbutts
2004-02-16 09:29:04 UTC
Post by MyOdd
And it is an intensive adjective used to accentuate something for example i
could say
i rekon that either....!!!?
Don
Simon.
George Lewis
2004-02-16 17:34:36 UTC
there are alot of differences in language between English and
American, and to someone that speaks a foreign language, these are
very noticable. The biggest thing here is "slang" that is understood
by Americans, maybe not so much English speakers in other countries.
MyOdd
2004-02-16 18:59:17 UTC
Post by George Lewis
there are alot of differences in language between English and
American, and to someone that speaks a foreign language, these are
very noticable. The biggest thing here is "slang" that is understood
by Americans, maybe not so much English speakers in other countries.
I am sorry you misunderstood me, all i was saying is that American is not a
language.
I never said that there was no differences between dialects of English and
English.

"What the heck" is not an American slang.
As i said it is an adjective, it is a misbelief. that "What the Heck" is a
polite version of "What the F#$%^", if fact the 'F' work and Heck are both
used as intensif adjectives.

Sims
George Lewis
2004-02-19 23:46:12 UTC
yeah, I realize that; wasn't meaning to give you a hard time. When
talking with German friends, there *is* a difference between English
and American though.
English is a language. American is a dialecte of English.
George Lewis
2004-02-19 23:47:14 UTC
nod...

In "American" English we don't say we're going to smoke a fag, for
example... that would not be understood!
Jim Hendrickson
2004-02-16 16:21:07 UTC
It's a G-rated version of "What the f*#&!"
MyOdd
2004-02-16 19:08:26 UTC
Post by Jim Hendrickson
Post by pb
can use that next time....
It's a G-rated version of "What the f*#&!"
No it is not, f*#& and Heck are both adjectives.
"What the Heck" is in fact closer to "What the Hell" and both, (Heck/Hell),
are used as oaths.

f*#& is one of the few word that can be used as a noun, pronoun, verb,
adjective and word substitute.
In the case of "what the f*#&", it is used as a word substitute for an
adjective.

Sims
Carl Frisk
2004-02-17 00:50:10 UTC
As my dad and his friends used to say:
That's a heck of a note.

Usually in reply to something startling or odd.
--
...Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.
Sims
Pål Vedal
2004-02-19 14:03:19 UTC
Post by MyOdd
Post by Jim Hendrickson
Post by pb
can use that next time....
It's a G-rated version of "What the f*#&!"
No it is not, f*#& and Heck are both adjectives.
"What the Heck" is in fact closer to "What the Hell" and both, (Heck/Hell),
are used as oaths.
I disagree: F"%& is actually a verb, and Heck is definitly a
substantive.

Btw: In my country, we have a small place called Hell. Hell Station
and Hell Hotel. Pretty funny to see japanees tourists arriving there,
making photos of all signs in the area.
MyOdd
2004-02-19 14:26:48 UTC
Post by PÃ¥l Vedal
Post by MyOdd
No it is not, f*#& and Heck are both adjectives.
"What the Heck" is in fact closer to "What the Hell" and both, (Heck/Hell),
are used as oaths.
I disagree: F"%& is actually a verb, and Heck is definitly a
substantive.
No F"%& is one of the few words in the English vocabulary that can be
different things depending on what you want to say.

Verb, (Transitive): I am F"%&ing.
Verb,(intransitive): She was F"%&ed by me.
Verb,(passive): She does not give a F"%&.
Conjunction: My English is not bad, F"%& neither is my French.
Adverb: She is F"%&ing interested in me.
Noun: She is a great F"%&.
Adjective: She is F"%&ing beautiful.
Interjection: F"%&!!!, we are going to be late.

If you are in doubt replace F"%&!!! with a noun, verb or adjective.
Post by PÃ¥l Vedal
Btw: In my country, we have a small place called Hell. Hell Station
and Hell Hotel. Pretty funny to see japanees tourists arriving there,
making photos of all signs in the area.
Really, what country is that?

Sims
Pål Vedal
2004-02-19 15:00:29 UTC
Post by MyOdd
No F"%& is one of the few words in the English vocabulary that can be
different things depending on what you want to say.
Verb, (Transitive): I am F"%&ing.
Verb,(intransitive): She was F"%&ed by me.
Verb,(passive): She does not give a F"%&.
Conjunction: My English is not bad, F"%& neither is my French.
Adverb: She is F"%&ing interested in me.
Noun: She is a great F"%&.
Adjective: She is F"%&ing beautiful.
Interjection: F"%&!!!, we are going to be late.
If you are in doubt replace F"%&!!! with a noun, verb or adjective.
You are absolutely right :)
Post by MyOdd
Post by PÃ¥l Vedal
Btw: In my country, we have a small place called Hell. Hell Station
and Hell Hotel. Pretty funny to see japanees tourists arriving there,
making photos of all signs in the area.
Really, what country is that?
In Norway, close to Trondheim, theres a small place called Hell.

Look at http://www.rica.no/vis.cfm?avsnitt=1&hotell=22

Closest AP is Vaernes, ENVA - nice if you have NORAP2004 installed
(Norvegian Airports, freeware at www.flightsim.no
MyOdd
(Norvegian Airports, freeware at www.flightsim.no
I will definitely have a look at it latter.
Thanks.

Sims
MyOdd
2004-02-19 15:17:28 UTC
(Norvegian Airports, freeware at www.flightsim.no
Sorry i just want to make sure, is "NORAP2004_1.zip" the right file?
Do you have a direct download link?

Sims
Pål Vedal
2004-02-19 15:28:08 UTC
(Norvegian Airports, freeware at www.flightsim.no
Sorry i just want to make sure, is "NORAP2004_1.zip" the right file?
Do you have a direct download link?
Of course, sorry, here it is:
http://www.flightsim.no/cgi-bin/file/download.cgi?ID=854
fred
Sims
2004-02-17 01:55:15 UTC
Post by pb
Who of the Americans can explane to me the meaning of "what's the
heck" so i can use that next time....
pieter
Heck: according to www.dictionary.com

\Heck\, noun.

1. The bolt or latch of a door. [Prov. Eng.]
2. A rack for cattle to feed at. [Prov. Eng.]
3. A door, especially one partly of latticework; -- called also heck door.
[Prov. Eng.]
4. A latticework contrivance for catching fish.
5. (Weaving) An apparatus for separating the threads of warps into sets, as
they are wound upon the reel from the bobbins, in a warping machine.
6. A bend or winding of a stream. [Prov. Eng.]

examples of use.......

"What the bend or winding of a stream, is that chasm doing in Alabama?"

"Where the latticework contrivance for catching fish is my joystick?"

"Why the rack for cattle feed did MSFS just crash to desktop?"

"Who the apparatus for separating the threads of warps into sets, as they
are wound upon the reel from the bobbins, in a warping machine, spilt coffee
over my sectional charts?"

ROFL

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
~Tom Clancy~
Bob The Builder
2004-02-17 17:08:38 UTC
Post by M
examples of use.......
"What the bend or winding of a stream, is that chasm doing in Alabama?"
"Where the latticework contrivance for catching fish is my joystick?"
"Why the rack for cattle feed did MSFS just crash to desktop?"
"Who the apparatus for separating the threads of warps into sets, as they
are wound upon the reel from the bobbins, in a warping machine, spilt coffee
over my sectional charts?"
ROFL

Now you could quite easily say those, um, phrase, in public, and
confuse the rack for cattle feed out of everyone! :-)

Although, I haven't lost my joysticket yet! ;-)

Bob